Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Review

Voices in My Head
by Dave Ruslander
80 pages
DSC Publishing
$ 29.95
Poetry




When I read a book of poems that I am not naturally
inclined to pick up, when I feel a gradual awareness
while reading, an opening up of the inner eye into the
poet's world, which has for a moment become my own, I
know it is a book I'll read again. I felt this book
won me over; I stayed in the middle of a line, sat up
and took notice.

For me, this is a book of attention, both attentive to
the world around the poet, the world beyond him, and
the inner sea he navigates.

Some of these poems offer a clear vision, the writing
so clean, clear-cut, and polished.

In "Blue Ridge Mountains" he writes, "Vermillion
fingers stroke the west face/as the sun melts into the
horizon/and black falls out of the blue."

I think the fact that the poet has bipolar disorder
lends an added poignancy to the reading of these
poems.

In "Rapacious", he begins, "Funny how the black dog
glows/carrying his quarry./ When the game turns,/ he
will nip at our heels/ and we will be the
hunted,//shooting blanks…"

The book is beautifully produced with eye-catching art
accompanying the poems. Some of the artists include
Mia, Teresa White, Don Schaeffer, Schar Freeman,
Barbara Ruslander, and the poet himself.

I think this is a quiet, reflective book to be picked
up and read slowly. While reading, step back and let
your inner eye take over.



Reviewed by Jill Chan





Dave Ruslander Steve Dalachinsky Lawrence Upton JodiAnn Stevenson Christopher Barnes Justin Hyde Alex Nodopaka Robert McLean Review



No comments: