Thursday, March 22, 2012

Vaughan Rapatahana

who will speak?
  

who will speak for
    the teenagers raped flat
            by ‘boyfriend’s’ fistic ego?
 
                                                   I will.
who will parley for
    the indigenes ripped raw
            by ‘master’s’ rancid tongue?
 
                                                   I will.
who will talk for
    the invalids invalidated
             by bureaucrat’s grumpy stamp?
 
                                                   I will.
who will argue for
     the masses abnegated
             by tyrant’s wartorn gun? 
                                                   I will
I’ll stand.
I’ll korero.
I’ll be staunch.
 
I will
scrawl down lines in the sand
&
shout them relentless.
 
set them in stone.
                                                     I have.
 
 
[korero is New Zealand Maori for talk.]
 
 
 
 
friend
 
let me be your friend
your true friend
and on those dark days
when the hardness hits your heart
turn to me
&
I will soothe our path.





Vaughan Rapatahana: New Zealand Maori, married to a lady from Philippines, where we also have a home. We live and work in Hong Kong and ours' is a polyglottal family.

Published very widely in variety of genre: two books of poetry in 2011 being Home Away Elsewhere (Proverse Hong Kong) and china as kafka (Kilmog Press, Aotearoa-NZ.) Links as here: http://www.chineseupress.com/asp/e_Book_card.asp?BookID=3222&Lang=E and http://kilmogpress.blogspot.com/2011/11/china-as-kafka-vaughan-rapatahana.html

June 2012 will see publication of the significant critical work English Language as Hydra (Multilingual Matters, U.K.) Link as here: http://www.multilingual-matters.com/display.asp?isb=9781847697493

Finally, yes - I have been through severe mental torment and affliction, being institutionalized at one stage many years ago. Being Indigenous and marginalized has also been a factor in this situation, as well as having had quite a few torrid family situations. Engari kaore nga raruraru (But - no problems.)

No comments: